Are menopausal symptoms common after a hysterectomy, when you still have your ovaries?

Dr. Maritza Baez
Yes. Menopause happens when the hormones in your ovaries run out.
So as long as you have ovaries (it doesn't matter if you don't have a uterus), you will eventually go through menopause.

Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Maritza Baez
Dr. Timothy Raichle
In brief: Sometimes
Your ovaries have their own blood supply, so it is uncommon for women to experience menopausal symptoms after a hysterectomy.
So even with the uterus removed, they usually continue to work normally on their own. That being said, I have had patients who complain of symptoms after a hysterectomy that are similar to menopause (hot flashes) but then they seem to "equalize" over time.

In brief: Sometimes
Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Timothy Raichle
Dr. Adam Levy