Should I give my cat away if I am pregnant?

Dr. Jeff Livingston

In brief: No

Please keep your cat.
The concern about cats and pregnancy is because of a disease called toxoplasmosis. Just wear disposable gloves and wash your hands after you change the litter or better yet ---make your partner do it. Cats and babies are just fine.

In brief: No

Please keep your cat.
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Robert Benner

In brief: No

Cats can carry toxoplasmosis, a parasitic infection which can be passed from a pregnant woman to her fetus.
Pregnant women should avoid cleaning the litter box, especially if their cat is allowed outdoors. Petting a cat will not expose you to toxo, so you don't need to give your pet away. A recent study found cat ownership was not a significant risk factor for toxoplasmosis in pregnancy.

In brief: No

Dr. Robert Benner
Dr. Robert Benner

In brief: No

If you have an indoor cat, there is no problem, as toxoplasma grows in soil outdoors.
If you have an outdoor cat, let someone else change the litter, or if you change it make sure you wash your hands very well after changing it. You can also get a toxoplasmosis IgG titer drawn. Many people have already been exposed, and if you are, there is no danger to re-exposure in pregnancy.

In brief: No

Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Nicholas Fogelson
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: No

Toxoplasmosis is most commonly caused by eating undercooked meat.
Outdoor cats may carry toxoplasmosis but indoor cats should not carry it.

In brief: No

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey