I was diagnosed with lupus (sle) in 1992 and polymyositis in 2006. My shoulders are very weak and so are my hips, is this normal?

Yes. The muscle weakness is part of polymyosits. Your treatment needs to be individualized for the muscle weakness with appropriate does of medications and steroid sparing drugs. Biologic agents are an option in individual cases. Suggest seeing a faculty member in rheumatology at a nearby medical school re possible use of biologic.
No. The proximal muscle weakness you describe can be secondary to poorly controlled myositis or is sometimes a side effect of long term Prednisone therapy. The latter is known as a steroid myopathy. Your rheumatologist should be able to help determine the cause and then take appropriate steps to treat.