Will birth control pills make my lupus symptoms worse?

See your doctor. It is unlikely that birth control pills would increase mild or severe flares if your lupus is stable. If your lupus affects your blood vessels (vascular disease), kidneys (nephritis), or you have antiphospholipid antibodies (which can increase the likelihood of blood clots), you should consider a non-estrogen based contraceptive, like the mini-pill, iud, condoms, or injectable (depo-provera).
It depends. If you have + antiphospholipid antibodies, you'd shouldn't take the combined pills because you have a higher risk of blood clots. Otherwise, studies suggest that you won't have more flares with birth control pills. Talk with your dr.