I have lupus I take piroxicam for pain but it's not helping, what else can I do?

Dr. Thomas Namey
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Piroxicam is not...

Piroxicam is definitely not an immune modulator needed to treat lupus.
It a great long lasting pain drug with a half life of 62 hrs, but would reduce or relieve lupus aches and pains. Most rheumatologists would have you take Hydroxychloroquine (plaquenyl) and possibly methotrexate. I also use ridaura (auranofin) or oral gold. For acute relief, Prednisone in moderate to high doses can be used.

In brief: Piroxicam is not...

Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Thomas Namey
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dermatology

In brief: Talk to doctor

Your lupus medication may need to be changed to decrease the inflammation that is causing your pain.
Plaque nil, atabrine, and other drugs for lupus need to be adjusted to achieve the maximum benefit.

In brief: Talk to doctor

Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Morris Westfried
Dr. Alfred Kim
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Talk to your rheum

It's important to figure out where the pain is coming from. Most lupus pts assume the pain is from lupus, but it could be coming from something else, like osteoarthritis or fibromyalgia.
You need to talk to your rheumatologist to better isolate the cause of this pain.

In brief: Talk to your rheum

Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Arnon Rubin