I have almost all the symptoms for sle but I was negative in ana, and normal in esr..Is it possible that I could still have sle?

Dr. Michael Laccheo
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Not likely

Anything is possible, but it would be very very unlikely.

In brief: Not likely

Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Probably not

The symptoms of lupus can also be seen in other diseases so i would suggest a rheumatology consult.
A normal ESR makes the presence of a chronic inflammatory disease like lupus less likely. A negative ana, however, is seen in about 5% of lupus cases.

In brief: Probably not

Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Ronald Krauser
Dr. Alfred Kim
I have to respectfully disagree with the statement that 5% of lupus pts are ANA (-). Flawed technique of ANA testing in those studies...
Dr. Alfred Kim
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: No

I'll take this a step farther and say no to lupus as a cause.
ANA positivity is a requisite. The problem with lupus is that the symptoms can be seen in numerous other conditions, and consequently do not specifically identify lupus as the diagnosis.

In brief: No

Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Alfred Kim
Dr. Arnon Rubin