The little finger of my right hand is swollen in the middle at the joint area and aches, why is this?

Probably a sprain. Sprains of the hand, especially sprains of the small joints of the fingers, are typically stiff, swollen and sore for a number of months-it sometimes takes a year or more for the soreness to go away, and sometimes the swelling can be permanent. It is a good idea to get a sprain evaluated early to make sure nothing else is going on and to completely understand the condition. See a hand surgeon.
Get it evaluated. It could be from a number of causes including arthritis. It would be best to get it evaluated so you can get a correct diagnosis and proper treatment.