Can diseases that often cause inflammation throughout the body also lead to water retention?

Dr. Larry Greenbaum
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Water retention

Inflammatory diseases might lead to water retention.
Keep in mind that many medications that are used to treat inflammation, such as ibuprofen, naproxen, prednisone, etc may cause water retention or swelling. Water retention is also a side effect of other medications.

In brief: Water retention

Dr. Larry Greenbaum
Dr. Larry Greenbaum
Dr. Tracy Lovell
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: See below

In addition to my colleague's answer, autoimmune diseases that attack the kidneys such as lupus can cause fluid retention as a result of kidney damage.

In brief: See below

Dr. Tracy Lovell
Dr. Tracy Lovell
Dr. Rick Koch
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: It's possible but

There are many other non inflammatory conditions such as CHF that can do this as well also some medications can too.

In brief: It's possible but

Dr. Rick Koch
Dr. Rick Koch