I was recently diagnosed with IBS and I have been told I have a positive ana, what does that mean?

Dr. Michael Laccheo
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Probably nothing.
ANA is a non-specific test seen in numerous illnesses as well as in healthy people.
By itself, it has no prognostic significance except in juvenile idiopathic arthritis. It is a frequent incidental finding when broad work ups are done for non-specific symptoms.

In brief: Probably nothing.
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: It is not from IBS
+ ANA can be present for a lot of reasons including connect tissue diseases, allergies, thyroid etc and you need to discuss this with your doctor.

In brief: It is not from IBS
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. Peter Kurzweil