How do you get rid of gum disease, gingivitis?

See a periodontist. I would suggest a consult with a periodontist to get an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan best suited for you.
Good oral hygiene. Good oral hygiene is the key. Regular brushing and flossing to remove the bacteria or plaque off the teeth which is the cause of gum disease. A visit to the dentist would be the first step. If you have gum disease, it would be necessary to have a deep cleaning to remove all the plaque and hard deposits on the teeth in order to start the healing process. Visit your dentist regularly.
Ckeaning. Brushing, and flossing regularly every day and after every meal. Getting your appropriate cleanings done with the dentist every year.
Don't give up! If your good habits at home, i.e. Brushing and flossing, don't reduce the problem, you may have more serious periodontitis rather than just gingivitis. See your dentist soon.