How can I alleviate arthritis in my lower spine?

Dr. Betty Keller
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Exercise
See a physical therapist who can show you exercises to help reduce low back pain.
Try moist heat before exercising. Swimming can be a great exercise for people with low back pain as well. Acupuncture can be quite effective in managing low back pain. Discuss these options with your doctor.

In brief: Exercise
Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. Betty Keller
Dr. David Greenfield
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: You can't
Basically, arthritis is a process that is not reversible.
You can diminish symptoms with exercise, medications, and avoidance of activities that provoke more pain. However, there are certain forms of arthritis that are amenable to specific therapy that can slow or halt the inflammatory process. Also, not all back pain is due to arthritis.

In brief: You can't
Dr. David Greenfield
Dr. David Greenfield
Dr. Peter Kurzweil