I weaned myself off of Nexium (esomeprazole) and then i started to take zerigid and that worked great. What can I take on a regular bases?

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: Zegerid

Both Nexium and Zegerid are PPIs, so they both effectively work the same way.
If your doctor has told you that you need long-term daily medication, you can use either one, whichever works the best for you. If not, talk to your doctor about a long-term regimen that will work for you. Good luck.

In brief: Zegerid

Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Andrew Seibert
Dr. Charles Cattano
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology

In brief: PPI's vs H2 blockers

No drug is perfect, & pros of long term use of acid blockade need to balance against cons (bone fractures, low magnesium, c.
Difficile infection). H2 blockers (tagamet, zantac, (ranitidine) pepcid) have been around since the late 70's, are safe, but may require increasing doses to achieve acid suppression. Proton pump inhibitors (ppi's) are also generally safe, but talk to your doc about lowest effective dose.

In brief: PPI's vs H2 blockers

Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Charles Cattano
Dr. Peter Kurzweil