I have been drinking tonic water because I was told that quinine was good for treating inflammation in arthritis, is that true?

Dr. Idan Sharon
Neurology
In brief: Quinidine
Mostly beneficial for spasms and muscle twitching and aches; less likely associated with anti-inflammatory effects.

In brief: Quinidine
Dr. Idan Sharon
Dr. Idan Sharon
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Kind of
Quinine is related chemically to other compounds (hydroxychloroquine, chloroquine, quinidine) that are refered to as anti-malarials due to their use to treat malaria.
The have also been shown to be helpful in some kinds of inflammatory arthritis and are used regularly for that. The most common example is the use of Hydroxychloroquine (plaquenil) in rheumatoid arthritis and lupus.

In brief: Kind of
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Michael Laccheo
Dr. Vicken Poochikian