Is a knee brace a good idea for an arthritic knee?

Maybe. Arthritis in the knee is a common problem. There are different approaches to treat it. Conservative approach involves medications, gait modifications, physical therapy, knee devices of which brace makes part. Depending on the location of the arthritis you may need a valgus or a varus brace that will shift the bones of the joint to a certain angle that will slow down the progression of arthritis.
Depends on type. Some types of arthritis of the knee may benefit from bracing while other types will not. Your evaluation will clarify what is best for you.