What are the long term effects I can expect from scoliosis and degenerative arthritis in my spine?

Dr. Keith Baldwin
Orthopedic Surgery - Pediatric

In brief: Back pain

Peopke with scoliosis have more acute and chronic back pain than the general population, regardless of treatment.
Most people get some degree of degenerative spinal arthritis. It is often of no clinical consequence, though it can lead to symptomatic spinal stenosis in some cases.

In brief: Back pain

Dr. Keith Baldwin
Dr. Keith Baldwin
Dr. Carlos Kier
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Back pain

Disc disease, nerve impingement with sciatica, lumbar stenosis can occur depending on the severity of the scoliosis and the age of the patient. The more severe the scoliosis the more likely one will develop symptoms. The location of the scoliosis will also determine the long term clinical picture and symptoms.

In brief: Back pain

Dr. Carlos Kier
Dr. Carlos Kier
Dr. Steven Seres