How will I know if I have arthritis in my knees?

Dr. Karen Sibert
Anesthesiology
In brief: Painful knees
If your knees are chronically painful, you should see a doctor to determine the cause.
Osteoarthritis is a degenerative disease, associated with age, where the knee cartilage gradually wears away. Rheumatoid arthritis can destroy the cartilage at any age, and is more serious, requiring treatment. Traumatic arthritis can result from a knee injury. You need to find out exactly what you have.

In brief: Painful knees
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. Karen Sibert
Dr. John Goldman
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Examination
It will depend on your examination.
Your physician will find swelling by clinical examination. Other imaging by x-rays, ultrasound and MRI will also help establish the diagnosis of arthritis.

In brief: Examination
It will depend on your examination.
Dr. John Goldman
Dr. John Goldman