What causes feet to swell?

First see PCP. First, see your primary care physician. Sometimes the cause of foot swelling is dietary. Other times, it can be result of cardiovascular problems or kidney problems or arthritis.
Gravity. Gravity pulls "excess" fluids to the lowest point. Excess fluid is caused by increased sodium intake, low blood proteins, inability to pump fluid forward and this is all made worse by keeping feet lower than heart.
Many causes. There are many causes of swelling in the feet. Some of the causes include, heart disease, liver disease, kidney disease, peripheral vascular disease, varicose veins, thrombophlebitis (inflammation of the blood vessels), and arthritis.