How do I know if I have rheumatoid arthritis or osteo arthritis?

Exam / Blood. Ra affected joints have more swelling than oa due to synovitis. An exam and blood work can help differentiate.
See your PCP. Typically you'll need to see a doctor who will make that determination based mostly on a history and physical examination. Depending on the situation, x-rays and some lab work may help as well. In difficult situations, your primary care doctor may refer you to a specialist like an orthopedic surgeon or rheumatologist.