How can I prevent rheumatoid arthritis?

Do not smoke. There are many potential triggers for the development of RA in patients who are genetically susceptible. Though are many suggestions given, the single proven modifiable factor is to not smoke.
Couple of beers/week. Drinking two to four beers a week may reduce by 31% a woman's risk of painful rheumatoid arthritis compared with women who never drank beer, researchers with Harvard Medical School found. The disease affects more than 1.5 million Americans, primarily women. If you adopt this advice, please drink responsibly & moderately or risk alcohol's other consequences! (Ref. AARP.org/bulletin)
Epigenetics. Do some reading about epigenetics. There is good science emerging that suggests we can alter some 500 known genes in real time through various behaviors that combine yoga, meditation, dietary changes, among others. .
Unlikely. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease . It is felt that people who develop autoimmune disease have genes that when exposed to certain environmental triggers the immune system to become overactive. However smoking andgingivitis increase your risk, so if you smoke stop and maintain good oral health.