Why do my knees turn purplish reddish and hurt me?

David Bracho
General Practice

In brief: Likely Hemarthrosis

These symptoms may be those of a hematoma (bruising) or a hemarthrosis, bleeding into a joint.
By far the most common cause is trauma but could also be a coagulopathy, or decreased ability to form a clot. If there is very little to no trauma or the bruising is severe/painful you should have your doctor check your knees and most likely run some blood test for clotting or sign's or arthritis.

In brief: Likely Hemarthrosis

David Bracho
David Bracho
Answer assisted by David Bracho, Medical Student
Dr. Payam Rafat
Podiatry

In brief: Many possibilities

Most likely it is due to overuse, but it could be due to a lot of different reasons.
Knee pain can be due to gout, infection, or due to tendon, cartilage, or bone abnormalities. Have it evaluated by a professional and get the appropriate treatment.

In brief: Many possibilities

Dr. Payam Rafat
Dr. Payam Rafat