Which is better risk, risk of recurrence in meshless open inguinal hernia surgery or risk of side effects from mesh.?

Mesh is better. Most of us surgeons agree and the literature is pretty clear, that hernia recurrence rates without mesh are much higher while the risks of using mesh are quite low.
Side effects. Side effects of mesh are very low. Not sure what concerns of mesh you have. Possible rare risk of chronic discomfort. Increased risk of hernia recurrence without mesh. Ask your surgeon their experience & recommendations.
Mesh better. While this is not absolute due toy the highly variable nature of clinical medicine, complication related to mesh are very few, but can be serious. It is usually not however because of the mesh, rather the technique in which it is used.