How long can a type 1 diabetic live without insulin? I've had diabetes 3 yrs now insulin makes me feel so sick

Dr. Dan Fisher

In brief: A few days

Strict type 1 diabetics without any Insulin are not long for the world.
Less than a few days. If you have some Insulin production you might be able to hobble along for longer. I am perplexed though....Insulin shouldn't make you feel badly - it is a natural hormone - a simple replacement for what you are missing. I hate to imagine what you will feel like without insulin.

In brief: A few days

Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Dan Fisher
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Internal Medicine - Endocrinology

In brief: Few days

It's clear that either you or md not caring for your diabetes well because you can live a productive happy healthy life with type 1 diabetes.
Classic examples : mary tyler moore, sports folks . Your job- follow diet, take insulin, monitor sugars and adjust as needed. Md job- needs to know all that- ask your doc about using incretins in type 1 dm- not approved by fda, but articles support, i do!

In brief: Few days

Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Stanley Schwartz
Dr. Steven Seres