I have raynaud's and cold-induced urticaria. Does this put me at any greater risk for a stroke?

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

Raynaud's phenomenon is a vasospastic response of small blood vessels in the digits to external cold.
It is a risk factor for stroke. You probably can't eliminate your cause of raynaud's as its ultimately genetic in origin. You can control other risk factors for stroke like cigarette smoking, high cholesterol, high blood pressure, and diabetes.

Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Steven Machtinger
Dr. Edward Smith
Neurology

In brief: Possibly

If you have a problem of cryoglobulinemia, you are at greater stroke risk.
Other blood conditions can be associated with hives and urticaria plus increased strokes. See a hematologist.

In brief: Possibly

Dr. Edward Smith
Dr. Edward Smith