Someone I know had breast cancer about 3 years ago. Within the past year, the cancer spread to the spine and liver. What is the prognosis?

Varies. This depends on her response to treatment and her overall health. The average 5 year overall survival for someone with stage IV breast cancer is 15%.
Stage IV. When the cancer spreads beyond the primary organ- here- is breast- ; it is considered to be a stage IV disease. It is treatable- however it is incurable. Statistically, the 5 year survival in stage IV breast cancer is approximately 20 %.
Not good. Breast cancer that spreads to bone(the spine) is usually "end stage" disease. It then becomes a "matter of time"".