The oncologist keeps insisting on chemo but I would rather have surgery only for breast cancer, I would like another opinion is it always necessary

answered:

Not always, but...

Open-uri20121017-14954-e8zuwt
...if you are not comfortable with your oncologist's opinion, you should get a second one. Unfortunately, surgery is rarely sufficient to treat breast cancer. More than half of all breast cancer patients require chemotherapy, and even more are given anti-estrogen therapy. The breast is but a battleground; the war is won or lost in the whole body. There is no better means for systemic RX than chemo
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Breast cancer Cancer Estrogen Chemotherapy Body Systemic Breast Medical oncology Breast carcinoma Surgery

answered:

Chemotherapy

Breast_cancer
my influence "risks". Has your oncologist explained the benefit, what you "risk" by not taking the recommended treatment? If I were you, I'd seek two other opinions. On the other hand, if the Oncotype test, and 3 doctors would *not* influence your decision, don't waste your money and their time. But remember the adage about "one treating themselves, has a fool for a patient."
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Breast cancer Cancer Chemotherapy Breast Hand Palm Medical oncology Breast carcinoma Surgery Female health

answered:

Another opinion A+!

Breast_cancer
Your body is your own, and you make your own decisions. The treatment approach depends on many factors, including the extent and type of your tumor. You should get a second opinion, especially if you are uncertain of your own approach to your illness. Just as importantly, you should have a second opinion of your pathology (diagnosis), as the pathologist's interpretation is essential.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Breast cancer Cancer Second opinion Chemotherapy Body Breast Medical oncology Pathology Breast carcinoma Surgery

answered:

Autonomy

Breast_cancer
No one, not even the most zealous oncologist, can force you to do anything you don't want to do. Only a complete fool would refuse surgery or the equivalent for a breast cancer, but the decision to include chemotherapy weighs the benefits (which should be spelled out for you) against the unpleasantness and difficulties. Get two more opinions.
Sign Up

Get personalized answers from doctors!

Breast cancer Cancer Chemotherapy Breast Medical oncology Breast carcinoma Surgery Female health