Is there a diet that can eliminate the need for humira/remicade in Crohn's disease patients?

Dr. Richard Rafoth
Internal Medicine - Gastroenterology
In brief: Mayby
There was one japanese study that suggested a plant based diet decreased the relapse rate of crohn's in remission.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/pmc2877178/pdf/wjg-16-2484.pdf unfortunately no pharma money is there to fund a f/u study. - for obvious reasons. If it was me, i'd try the veggie diet for 6 to 12 months.

In brief: Mayby
Dr. Richard Rafoth
Dr. Richard Rafoth
Dr. Stratos Christianakis
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: Nothing proven
There is a lot of press now concerning "anti-inflammatory diets" in treating underlying inflammatory disorders like crohn's.
I do have patients who are much improved with eliminating gluten, for example. However, everyone is unique and it is impossible to make a blanket statment about diet and eliminating meds like remicade (infliximab). It is always worth a try if you are motivated to do so.

In brief: Nothing proven
Dr. Stratos Christianakis
Dr. Stratos Christianakis
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology
In brief: NO
If you have active crohns, liquid or a bland diet may only be slightly helpful.
With active crohns resting the bowel or nothing by mouth may be the most helpful plan. Fortunately, there are multiple therapies to help active crohns. Please talk with your GI md or your rheumatologist.

In brief: NO
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. PHILIP WALLER
Dr. Adam Smith