Does the herb kalawalla (polypodium leucotamos) actually work for autoimmune disorders?

Dr. Manav Singla
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology

In brief: Maybe

There are some case reports (single cases) of it helping patients, but I do not know of any credible studies that have actually been done to critically answer that question.
So while it might help, we can't be sure, and it might have side effects.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Manav Singla
Dr. Kathryn Riordan
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Kalawalla

No, the diversity of autoimmune diseases results in variable results with both natural and synthetic therapies.
Medications and supplements that can be beneficial with lupus may be harmful or lack benefit with rheumatoid arthritis, vasculitis or autoimmune thyroid disease. There are no natural supplements or medications that are beneficial for all autoimmune disorders.

In brief: Kalawalla

Dr. Kathryn Riordan
Dr. Kathryn Riordan
Dr. Adam Smith