How do I prevent vertebral compression fractures?

Exercise. The only way to delay the effects of bone loss is to build stronger bones through exercise when you are young. If you are diagnosed with osteoporosis, then you need medication to reduce the chance of fractures.
By exercising, not . Smoking, taking adequate vitamin d and calcium daily, and getting periodic check ups with your physician to make sure that you are treated for any issues that may develop like thyroid disease which can affect your bone density. When going through menopause, make sure you get screened for your bone density and keep up the same advice given. If bone density is low, make sure you are treated.