Is ativan or Xanax (alprazolam) better for extreme anxiety. Panic attacks. Etc?

See below. Their from the same class. Xanax (alprazolam) stays in your system for a shorter period of time, which makes it better for panic attacks but also makes it's addiction potential higher.
Depends. Ssris such as fluoxetine are first line choices for treatment of anxiety. Xanax (alprazolam) could be considered for short term as needed use (ie ffear of flying) however is intermediate duration of effect often necessities multiple doses per day for chronic use. This may be less so for ativan.