How will I know if I'm a candidate for minimally invasive spine surgery?

Depends. Minimally invasive spine surgery aims to achieve the same goals as standard surgery, just with less tissue damage. A lot depends on the actual problem and the experience of the surgeon. There is definitely a learning curve and the initial results show more complications with minimally invasive surgery. A good compromise might be "less" invasive but still maximally effective surgery.
If surgery is needed. There has been significant evolution of minimally invasive techniques in spine surgery over the past 15 years. The vast majority of spine disorders can currently be treated with minimally invasive techniques by an experienced surgeon.
MIS Candidate. Ask your spine surgeon. If they do not perform minimally invasive spine (mis) procedures ask them for a referral to a surgeon who does. They will be able to tell you if you are a candidate. If either is an option choose the surgeon you have the most confidence in. Do not be afraid to ask questions.
First, by failing a . Course of non operative care and having symptoms and findings matching an imaging study that reveals a surgically correctable problem . Then see a surgeon who is well versed with both traditional spine surgical techniques as well as minimally invasive ones so that surgeon will give you unbiased opinion with the pros and cons of each and which would be best for you.