What type of doctor does surgery on the spine for herniated disc?

Neurosurgeon. Also fellowship trained ortho spine surgeon.
A surgeon. Spine surgery involving direct removal of herinated disk fragments (microdiscetomy) for pain from a pinched nerve has been a widely accepted treatment for decades and has yielded excellent results in appropriately selected patients. This procedure is done by orthopaedic spine surgeons and neurosurgeons.
Spinal surgeon. Neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons both do surgery on the spine for herniated discs. Thank you for your question.