Is foraminal stenosis the same thing as spinal stenosis?

Sort of... Spinal stenosis means there is decreased space available for the spinal sac & spinal nerves. This can be due to pressure from bulging discs, arthritic joints, thickening of the spinal ligaments, tumors, congential problems, etc. Foraminal stenosis is decreased space available for one of the individual nerves around the area that it exits off the main spinal canal (known as the neural foramen).
In a way. Foraminal is one of the types of stenosis. Stenosis means narrowing foaraminal is specifically narrowing of th side holes of the spine where the nerves leave the canal spine spacing is important to foramina.L spinal stenosis is not specific where in the spine is narrowed.