Would numbness of toes be an initial effect of spinal stenosis?

It could be one. Of them. Pain, numbness, tingling anywhere from the back and dow towards the toes can be all related to stenosis.
It may. Spinal stenosis can present with a variety of symptoms individually or in combination but when in the lumbar spine, they are made worse with standing and walking and relieved by bending or sitting. If the stenosis occurs in neck or mid back it can present this way too but will be not affected by standing or walking or relieved necessarily by sitting.