Will an abscess of the tonsils lead to spinal meningitis?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Very doubtful
I've seen thousands of patients with tonsillitis and none ever had meningitis.

In brief: Very doubtful
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Rare but possible
An abscess of the tonsils is actually an abscess in the space around the tonsils, hence the correct name "peritonsillar abscess.
" the peritonsillar space is a potential space that is made of thin tissue layers called fascia. This space communicates directly with other deep neck spaces, including the pre vertebral space. If the infection tracks into this area, spinal meningitis can develop easily.

In brief: Rare but possible
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Malaika Witter Hewitt
Dr. Jean-Pierre Mobasser
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Highly unlikely
There is a chance for anything, but it would be extraordinarily difficult to contract spinal meningitis in this way.

In brief: Highly unlikely
Dr. Jean-Pierre Mobasser
Dr. Jean-Pierre Mobasser