How can I breathe with my scoliosis back brace?

Dr. Tim Schrader
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Normally

You should be able to breathe normally.
When you first get your brace, it may feel tight and cause you to take frequent, short breaths. Most orthotists have a schedule for wearing a brace that allows you and your body to adjust. Maybe just a short time the first day and then slowly increased time over 2-4 weeks. You should ask the person that made your brace.

In brief: Normally

You should be able to breathe normally.
Dr. Tim Schrader
Dr. Tim Schrader
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

The brace should be fitted for you and should not restrict your breathing.
If it is, you may be making the straps too tight or your orthotist may have to modify or re fit your brace as it may be the wrong size or poorly fabricated. As it is typically used during your growth period, it is not uncommon to outgrow your brace.

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Marsha Davis