Is there a chance that my scoliosis will get worse when I grow?

Dr. Chintan Sampat
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: It depends

It depends on the type of scoliosis.
Most curves tend to progress about 1 degree per year after skeletal maturity. However, certain curves can progress fast and require surgical intervention sooner. Please check with your physician regarding the type of curve that you have and the prognosis.

In brief: It depends

It depends on the type of scoliosis.
Dr. Chintan Sampat
Dr. Chintan Sampat
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Yes growth= risk

Yes and risk may depend on your age at diagnosis, size, location and type of your curve as well as your sex and whether one or both of your parents have scoliosis but all curves have risk of progression during growth period.
There are medical risk factors include a delay in puberty, transplant patients, muscular dystrophy, cerebral palsy, polio and rheumatoid arthritis that place increased risk.

In brief: Yes growth= risk

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Arnon Rubin