Do I need to have down's screening tests?

Dr. Pam Yoder
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine

In brief: Screening can help

There is no requirement for a patient to have an invasive diagnostic test like amniocentesis to determine if a fetus has trisomy 21.
However, most OB providers offer the screening test to pregnant women. Both should be accompanied by counseling so that couples can discuss them and the pregnant woman can decide what testing, if any, to undergo.

In brief: Screening can help

Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Pam Yoder
Dr. Suzanne Gilberg-Lenz
informed consent requires thorough INFORMATION. make sure you ask questions and get answers!
Dr. Amy Herold

In brief: No

Genetic screening is always offered, however, it is not required that you have testing done.
I ask patients to think about what they would do with the information if the test comes back positive and whether they feel like they would want to be prepared if there was an abnormal result. Most women choose to have some type of genetic testing, but many decline any screening tests.

In brief: No

Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold