I have pain in the left side of my butt constantly. Is there a way to figure out the cause without going to the doctor?

Dr. Greg Khounganian
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: Straight leg raise
An easy test to perform to see if the pain may be related to a slipped disc causing sciatica is called the straight leg raise test.
If you lay flat and have a friend raise your leg without bending your knee. If this maneuver recreates the butt pain you probably have a slipped disc and should see a doctor. If not this can possibly be a simple low back sprain. See an md if pain continues.

In brief: Straight leg raise
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Dr. Greg Khounganian
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine
In brief: No
No unless you are the doctor!

In brief: No
No unless you are the doctor!
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Vicken Poochikian