How do I tell if the pain coming from my butt is sciatica or an internal thrombosed (blood clot) hemorrhoid?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: If Rectal pain

then hemorrhoids likely.
If in buttock area then likely spine related, only way to know about spine issues is get lumbar spine MRI.

In brief: If Rectal pain

then hemorrhoids likely.
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Pain Management

In brief: Location

Hemmoroid pain will stay rectal.
Sciatica pain generally starts in the back and then travels down the buttock to the toes, someimes associated with leg numbness and weakness.

In brief: Location

Hemmoroid pain will stay rectal.
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. Einar Ottestad
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal

In brief: Easy

Hemorrhoidal pain is local at your anus usually, sciatica usually radiates down your thigh to your calf/shin.
Also thrombosed internal hemorrhoids are very unusual and otherwise internal hemorrhoids rarely cause pain. External thrombose often and do cause pain. You should be able to tell the difference.

In brief: Easy

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Vikram Patel