My blood group is a- (negative) and I had anti-d with my first pregnancy. Will I need it again with my second?

Dr. Amy Herold

You should have anti-d in your second pregnancy.
It will protect the baby in subsequent pregnancies from problems related to blood-type mismatch between mom and baby.

Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Amy Herold
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

Yes you will need again since your blood type will not have changed.

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Jaime Lopez

Your blood type never changes, so you will need anti-d in all of your pregnancies, even miscarriages, terminations, or ectopic pregnancy.
But your doctor will run blood tests first to be sure that you still require the anti-d.

Dr. Jaime Lopez
Dr. Jaime Lopez
Dr. Alysia Townsend

In brief: Most likely

Unless the confirmed father of the baby is also rh negative, proven by testing, you will continue to need Rhogam with each pregnancy.
The only exception is when you have already become rh sensitized, or have rh isoimmunization, in which case Rhogam or anti-d no longer is able prevent potential attack of fetal cells by maternal cells.

In brief: Most likely

Dr. Alysia Townsend
Dr. Alysia Townsend
Dr. Jeff Livingston

The Rhogam shot lasts for 14 weeks which is why it is given at 28 weeks to last through the end of pregnancy.
It needs to be repeated with each pregnancy. It also needs to be given after delivery if the baby is rh positive.

Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Jeff Livingston
Dr. Megan Bird

You will need to get the Rhogam or anti-d injection with every pregnancy.
It is usually given at 28 weeks and sometimes again after delivery. If you have bleeding earlier in pregnancy, you may also need a shot.

Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Megan Bird
Dr. Craig Keathley

Rhogam, anti-d antibody, is given to prevent rh neg women from forming their own antibodies to the d antigen if carrying an rh + fetus.
It is typically given at 28 weeks in order to protect during the highest risk time for exposure to fetal cells. This should be done during each pregnancy unless it is known with certainty that the father is also rh negative.

Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Craig Keathley
Dr. Jane Van Dis