I have pain that radiates down both legs from the sciatic nerve. Should I be worried?

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Surgery - Oncology

In brief: Potentially yes.

Visit with your doctor to determine how much you should worry.
If the pain is caused from a spinal disc problem, then it can get worse. Rarely it can cause paralysis and other types of permanent damage.

In brief: Potentially yes.

Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Carlo Contreras
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: No as most get

Better with no surgery if due to a disc herniation.
Even if due to spinal stenosis , only 15% get worse with 15% getting better & the rest remaining the same. Other reasons for pain can be peripheral vascular disease and arthritis of the hips and/or knees. All are treatable and can be diagnosed by a physician if symptoms warrant an evaluation

In brief: No as most get

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Eric Weisman