Is it necessary to have surgery when I have sciatic nerve pain?

Dr. Qamar Khan
Pain Management

In brief: Pinched Nerve

Sounds like you have a pinched nerve in your back.
Can take up to 6 months to go away on its own. I would suggest seeing a pain/spine specialist to evaluate you further to evaluate what level and what can be done to treat you. There are interventional treatments besides medications and surgeries that might reduce or eliminate the pain altogether.

In brief: Pinched Nerve

Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Qamar Khan
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: No

If due to a disc herniation, the need for surgical treatment is about 10%.
Most are treated nonoperatively. About 15% need surgery if diagnosis is spinal stenosis and 30% chance of surgery if related to a degenerative spondylolithesis and 10% if related to a congenital spondylolisthesis . There can be other causes such as a synovial cyst or tumor but are rarer causes.

In brief: No

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Ronald Primas

In brief: No

Most sciatic pain resolves after some time and improves at a faster rate with physical therapy and modalities such as acupressure massage.
Good luk.

In brief: No

Good luk.
Dr. Ronald Primas
Dr. Ronald Primas
Dr. Jane Van Dis