I just had a spinal fusion l4-5 to s1. How can I get pain relief without any medications?

Dr. Michael Bolesta
Orthopedic Surgery
In brief: Depends
It depends on how recent it was and your pain tolerance.
Having enough pain relief to carry on most of your daily activities helps you recover. If you are comfortable enough for these, you may forgo the medicine. Balance any side effects of medicine against your ability to get up and go. If it okay with your surgeon, you can use an ice pack or heating pack to the area of your surgical wound.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Michael Bolesta
Dr. Steven Beer
Neurosurgery
In brief: Stay Active
In particular staying active but not overdoing it is perhaps most important.
In my practice, pool therapy seems to be the best way to get off of medication and /or reduce the need for narcotics. Also, muscle relaxers seem to work exceptionally well. After a spinal fusion however caution should be employed for the use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications as there has been an association with decreased fusion rates using those medications.

In brief: Stay Active
Dr. Steven Beer
Dr. Steven Beer
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Pain Management
In brief: Spine surgery
There are other modalities like, massage, pt, cold laser, tens, etc.
. Your surgeon has to allow you to start these. Please check with him.

In brief: Spine surgery
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Romanth Waghmarae
Dr. Vikram Patel