I have back pains that radiate down the legs. Is this normal?

Dr. Carl Spivak
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Sciatica

You may have ruptured disk or stenosis pinching the leg nerves in the back causing sciatica.
I would discuss this with your doctor. You may benefit from rest, anti-inflammatories, physical therapy, steroid injections or surgery. Today disk herniations can be removed through a very tiny spine endoscope the size of a pen. Good luck!

In brief: Sciatica

Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Carl Spivak
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Neurosurgery

In brief: No

Such pain is usually due to nerve irritation or compression.
Intermittently this can also be due to hip problems. If you are involved in contact activity (running, heavy work, etc), you would benefit from decreased lifting and contact activity for 4-6 weeks. Please see you physician for a detailed exam and history.

In brief: No

Dr. Ramin AmirNovin
Dr. Ramin AmirNovin