I have radiating pain down my left leg that goes from my calf to my ankle. What should I do?

Dr. Jovita Anyanwu

In brief: Need evaluation

Multiple causes.
Your doctor will be able to narrow down the differentials.

In brief: Need evaluation

Multiple causes.
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Dr. Jovita Anyanwu
Dr. Derron Wilson
Pain Management

In brief: Need exam

Radiating pain typically is used to describe nerve type pain, but that is not the only possible cause for your symptoms.
A physical examination would help direct your care significantly.

In brief: Need exam

Dr. Derron Wilson
Dr. Derron Wilson
Dr. Thomas Dowling
Orthopedic Surgery - Spine

In brief: Sounds like sciatica

Sounds like a typical case of sciatica due to nerve compression that can be due to disc herniation but there can be other causes.
Generally this is true with pain that goes past the knee and can be confirmed on exam and by imaging with a ct scan or mri. Most get better without surgery. Time, activity restriction, guided exercise & otc medication if no contraindications can help or see your pcp.

In brief: Sounds like sciatica

Dr. Thomas Dowling
Dr. Thomas Dowling

In brief: Dr.'s can evaluate

Leg pain, especially with back symptoms, should be evaluated by a primary care doctor, who can then refer to a physical therapist, orthopedic doctor (back specialist), pm&r doctor (physical medicine & rehabilitation), vascular surgeon, and/or neurologist.
The leg pain might be due to pressure on nerves coming out of the spine and/or clogged arteries that cannot supply enough blood to leg muscles.

In brief: Dr.'s can evaluate