How will I know if the cord is wrapped around the baby's neck?

Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Quite common

The cord wrapping around the baby's neck is quite common, noted 30% of the time when the baby is born.
It has no clinical significance and there is no real need to check for it before birth.

In brief: Quite common

Dr. Padmavati Garvey
Dr. Padmavati Garvey

In brief: Found at delivery

This is not an unusual finding & is usually discovered at delivery.
Sometimes the issue causes abnormal tracings on fetal heart monitor strips & may prevent baby from descending into the birth canal. I've taken care of one kid who had 5 wraps around the neck (delivered c-section) & she grew up to be a happy cheerleader.

In brief: Found at delivery

Dr. Cindy Juster