How long do I have to wait to eat after a getting tooth filling?

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dentistry

In brief: Generally..

As far as the filling itself goes, you can eat right away with tooth colored composite fillings, but should wait at least one hour with amalgam (silver) fillings.
It's always best you ask your own dentist as this can vary somewhat based upon the size and location of the filling. If you had local anesthesia, you should wait until all the numbness is gone.

In brief: Generally..

Dr. Gary Sandler
Dr. Gary Sandler
4 comments
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Bond strength takes 24 hrs to fully mature eating right away on bonded fillings is no a good idea.
Dr. Gary Sandler
Factors that affect polymerization of resin-based composite restorations include light intensity, exposure time, and wavelength as related to the type of photoinitiator incorporated in the resin-based composite material. The bottom line is that it takes about 17 J/cm2 to 20 J/cm2, which equates to 20 seconds with a 1,000-mW/cm2 light energy to obtain the optimum degree of polymerization of a composite. I have been practicing dentistry for over 40 years and in placing bonded composites in all those years, while fillings can chip or break (just as natural teeth) if forces on them are great enough, I can’t remember a single case of a composite de-bonding, and most of my fillings last 10-15 years. My patients are instructed that they can eat right after they leave my office, and have no problems. Perhaps one should follow Dr. Shvartsman’s advice and therefore wait 24 hours before eating.
Dr. Debi Williams
Dentistry

In brief: Varies

Depends upon the duration of the anesthesia and the type of filling.
Most dentists will allow you to eat soft foods right away if you eat on the opposite side of your mouth. Generally you will be able to eat anything within 2-4 hours.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Debi Williams
Dr. Debi Williams
Dr. John Thaler
Dentistry - Prosthodontics

In brief: Depends

Two things to consider: 1.
Are you still numb from the anesthesia ?, 2. Is it a tooth colored filling or an amalgam (silver colored) filling. Obviously, you want the numbness to be gone before eating, so you don't chew yourself instead of / in addition to your food. If the filling is amalgam. You should wait at least a few hours, and no hard chewing for 24 hours. If unsure, ask your dentist.

In brief: Depends

Two things to consider: 1.
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. John Thaler
Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: No numbness

Wait until all the anesthesia has won off and do not eat hard foods o the tooth for 24 hrs.

In brief: No numbness

Dr. Alex Shvartsman
Dr. Alex Shvartsman

In brief: Filling type?

Don't chew as long as you are numb.
White fillings are set right away, so there is no need to wait. Less commonly used any mire are silver fillings. If so, avoid chewing pressure until the next day.

In brief: Filling type?

Don't chew as long as you are numb.
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Scott Greenhalgh
Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dentistry - Cosmetic

In brief: Depends

Amalgam filling need time to harden, several hours.
Composite (white) fillings are hardened with a light and you can eat as soon as the anesthetic wears off. In or office we use lasers for fillings so the patients don't need shots and they can eat right away.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dr. Harvey Shiffman
Dr. Andrea Brand