Can you tell me what are lumbar discs?

Cartilage. Lumbar discs are the cartilage substances between the vertebrae in the lumbar spine. They are named by the bones they lie between. For example, in your lumbar spine there are the l1-2, l2-3, l3-4, l4-5, and l5-s1 discs. Five total. They provide shock absorption and help provide range of motion. They have a soft center, and if rupture will pinch on a nerve and cause sciatica, or nerve pinch.
Cartilage spacers. The black stripes in picture they are cartilage spacers and shock absorbers between the bones of spine called vertebra able to withcstand huge forces in the spine strong and durable intact painless discs are marvels of design and anatomy.