Before cleft lip and palate reconstructive surgery was invented, what was done for people with this birth defect?

Not much. Some dentists could make appliances to plug the whole in the palate. There were crude attempts to close the lips.
Pressure. Types of cintures or binders and braces were tried. In many third world countries children and adults are living with the defect.
Not much. They generally had o suffer with nothing or a partial or full denture. Clefts can disfigure if severe enough and can interfere with the ability to eat and swallow.