What to do for herniated disks?

Injections. Epidural Steroid injections helps most people with documented herniations that are the source of there sciatica type pain. That said the question is how long will you get relief for and there is no real good answer for that. Some people can get relief for months and others it can be days/weeks. We notice most people get relief for a longer time if at least 2 injections are planned.
Several things . Time is biggest healer -90% resolve with no surgery. Lifestyle changes like weight control, not smoking & regular exercise are important- core strengthening & cardiovascular exercises as well as flexibility. This can be learned in physical therapy. Some people like to use inversion tables for traction or try acupuncture or even chiropractic . Medication & epidural steroid injections can be done.
A lot!! Less than 10% require surgery but medical treatment includes rest, physical therapy, pain pills, musle relaxants, patches, tens unit etc. See a specialist.